What is an allergy
An allergic reaction occurs when the immune system, which protects you against harmful invaders, overreacts to a usually harmless substance in the environment such as pollen, dust mites, or pet dander.
These usually harmless substances are called “allergens”. Allergens may enter your system by being inhaled, touched, ingested, or injected.
Allergies exist in many different forms:
Allergy symptoms vary depending on the type of allergens and can range from minor to severe. Some of these symptoms include:
- Chest tightness and shortness of breath
- Dry, itchy, cracked, scaly skin
- Feeling faint or light-headed.
- Inflamed, itchy eyes
- Itchy, runny nose
- Rashes/ Hives (red, very itchy swellings)
- Stomach pain/ vomiting/ diarrhea
- Swollen lips/ tongue/ throat
There is no cure for allergies but there are effective treatments available to reduce its symptoms and improve your quality of life.
Prevention and management of allergies also begin with a correct medical diagnosis. All of these we offer at Snö Asthma & Allergy.