Share on
Dec 31, 2016

Insect sting allergy

Most people who get stung by an insect can develop minor localized redness and swelling at the site of the bite, however for some people, they may experience a much more serious body-wide reaction

Allergic reactions to insect stings are caused by the venom injected. If a person is insect-allergic, after the first sting, their body produces antibodies called Immunoglobulin E (IgE).

If stung again by the same kind of insect, the venom interacts with this specific IgE antibody, triggering the release of substances that can lead to anything from mild to life-threatening or fatal reactions. Patients with insect sting allergies must be trained to recognize and treat severe reactions, and may be candidates for venom immunotherapy, a potentially life-saving treatment option